Sunday, December 21, 2014

2 Questions You Need to Ask Before You Purchase a Whole Life Insurance Policy

Let's say I was trying to sell a very expensive whole life insurance policy. Let's say I knew that my client would never buy if they knew how expensive it would be to pay for life insurance for their entire life. Let's say I knew that the cost of insurance would become so great that one day my client would refuse to pay. How could I configure a policy that would sell?

The answer is easy.  To solve the first problem I would sell the policy using a hypothetical which did not show the cost of insurance.  I would only show payments that did not increase so that the client would believe the cost of insurance was not increasing over time.  To solve the second problem, I would charge double, triple or even ten times what is necessary during the first few years and hold that amount in a separate account.  When the client finally decided to stop paying, I would automatically build into the policy a way to pay the premiums from the separate account.

Here are the 2 questions you need to ask:
  • Why doesn't a whole life insurance hypothetical show the cost of the underlying life insurance each year?
  • Knowing that the cost of insurance increases each year, how is the cost of insurance covered since the payments are not increasing?
Read more about whole life insurance policies here:
Thank you so much for visiting. Please let me know how I am doing by leaving some comments. I appreciate your time.

This post was reposted from http://finlit.biz/life-insurance/2-questions-you-need-to-ask-before-you-purchase-a-whole-life-insurance-policy/, originally written on January 23rd, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment